|The finished product!|
This spanakopita uses seasoned tofu instead of cheese, and frozen spinach, but fresh could be used easily instead if you have it! :)
We also decided to go for pretty spirals to make things more exciting. :D
yields four spirals, about 4 - 8 servings
½ lb frozen phyllo dough, thawed
1 lb pack of firm tofu
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
½ tsp salt
½ tsp garlic powder
black pepper to taste
1 lb spinach (thawed frozen, or blanched fresh)
olive oil as needed
1. Remove phyllo dough from freezer and let thaw, usually takes 30 – 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Drain tofu and press out some of the excess water (paper towels work fine for this, feel free to squish the tofu!)
3. In a large bowl, crumble tofu by hand or mash with a fork. Add the olive oil, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, salt, garlic (both kinds), and pepper. Mix well.
4. Add the spinach to the tofu mixture (it may be easiest to add it bit by bit so it doesn’t clump up too much).
|Mixing the spanakopita's innards!|
5. Separate the thawed phyllo dough sheets into four roughly even piles, and divide the tofu-spinach mixture into four equal parts. Spread a portion of the tofu-spinach mixture over each set of sheets at one edge. Roll up the phyllo dough around the tofu-spinach to form a cylinder (think sushi!).
6. Brush the bottom of an 8” x 8” cake pan with olive oil. Coil each cylinder into a spiral and place gently into pan. Brush the tops with more olive oil. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until tops are golden brown. Enjoy!